How do I prove my identity and registration number entitlement?

As part of DVLA's strict requirements for number plate suppliers, for UK plates we need to verify your identity and your entitlement to the registration number before legal plates can be made.

We make this as easy as possible for you.  Once your order is complete, simply send them to us in the post within 1-3 days of your order failure to comply will result in the plate not being made and an admin fee:

  • Your original copy of one of the identity documents listed below (List 1)
  • Your original copy of one of the proof of entitlement documents listed below (List 2)
  • A piece of paper or sticky note with your order number and full name written on it

Send these items in an envelope to:

Once we have verified your original documents, we'll post them back to you via signed post, to the address on the documents.

We will look after your documents while they're with us, but we're not responsible for issues with the postal system.

  • Our production and despatch times are from receipt of your original documents.
  • If you have chosen to collect your plates, then you may bring the documentation with you.  We cannot start production of your plates until your documentation has been verified.  It might be possible to make your plates while you wait (please ask on the day whether this is available), but you may have to make a return visit to collect your plates.

Identity Documents (List 1)

  • driving licence
  • utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
  • national identity card
  • passport - doesn’t have to be issued in the UK
  • bank or building society debit or credit card
  • police warrant card
  • armed forces identity card

Entitlement Documents (List 2)

  • vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
  • new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
  • certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
  • retention document (V778) - not applicable in Northern Ireland
  • a renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
  • temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
  • a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)
  • an electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)
  • a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate
  • if your fleet is in the new V5C on demand scheme (also called ‘V5C suppression’), a PDF of the vehicle’s details from the view vehicle record service

We believe that this information is correct at the time of writing, although the DVLA reserve the right to change the list of acceptable documentation.